Ministry of Tourism
Established in 1948 as the General Tourism Commissariat, its main task was promoting Lebanon in the world and keeping an eye on tourist enterprises and professions. In 1966, as the tourism sector in Lebanon evolved, the ministry was established. The General Directorate of Tourist Affairs is part of the ministry and is in charge of the promotion and investments in the tourism sector as well as the control of tourist companies and establishments. The ministry also comprises tourist information centers that are mainly located in archeological and tourist sites all over the country in addition to a central bureau inside the ministry's headquarters.
The building was erected in the 1920's with a neo-Islamic architectural touch. The upper floors currently house the administrative offices of Beirut municipality whereas the ground floor accommodates many shops. While the building was being constructed, a treasure of jewels was found in the vestiges of a Byzantine city; those jewels are currently on display at the National Museum.
Beirut international airport (Rafik Hariri's International Airport)
Located almost 9 km south of the capital, it is the only operational commercial airport on the Lebanese territory. The airport was inaugurated in 1954 and was one of the most modern airports in the region until the 1975' hostilities, where only the Middle East Airlines (MEA) and the Trans Mediterranean Airways (TMA) continued to operate. The runways were renovated in 1982 and 1984 but were unfortunately targeted by Israeli air raids. After the guns fell silent, the airport was still functional, but restoration was necessary. As a result, a reconstruction plan was launched in 1994; the plan included the construction of a new terminal and 2 new runways that were built according to international standards.
Inaugurated in 1923 and surrounded by a pine forest that was grown during Prince Fakhreddine II's rule, the Beirut hippodrome became a spot for social meetings between Beiruti and French people. International horse races were organized there since 1944. Unfortunately, the hippodrome wasn't spared during the war and it stopped working for several times especially in 1982 after its total destruction. Afterward, activities took back little by little till 1991 when the hippodrome had its complete start-up.
The Pine Residence
Built with an oriental architectural touch, the palace was first used as a military hospital before becoming a casino where noble and rich people used to meet. In 1922, during the French mandate, the palace and the neighboring gardens became the property of the French consul who chose it to be his residence, and currently, the palace is the residence of the French ambassador in Lebanon.
The "Sanayeh" Garden
The oldest public park in Beirut was fitted out in 1907 by the Turkish governor of the city Khalil Pasha in many sectors. The garden houses millenary trees of all sorts, and its name "Sanayeh" is the Arabic word for art crafts that were taught in the nearby buildings which currently house the Ministry of Interior.
Beirut International Exhibition and Leisure Center - BIEL
The center hosts meetings, books or cars expositions, festivals, theater plays, and concerts. It is a crossroad for music and leisure.
The "Camille Chamoun" Sports City
The city was designed after the Roman coliseum and its construction began in 1954. It was inaugurated by its promoter, H.E president Camille Chamoun in 1957. The city was initially a project that comprises an open stadium that can host 50.000 spectators, an Omni sports palace, an Olympic swimming pool, another semi-Olympic closed swimming pool, and tennis courts. Unfortunately, the budget that was dedicated to the project allowed for the construction of the open stadium and the Omni sports hall. The city became ever since a spot for sport manifestations and activities and witnessed a golden era until it was destroyed by an Israeli air raid in 1982.
The city regained its architectural glory and its status as the beating heart of local and international sporting activity when it hosted the Pan-Arab games in 1998 and the Asian football cup in 2000.
The Golf Club
The golf club is an enchanting scene of green spaces and an 18-hole championship course. This course receives golfers all year long thanks to the moderate climate. Moreover, the club sports tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a sauna, and friends can get together in the marvelous pavilion that overlooks the course and includes several restaurants and bars.
Maison de L’Artisan
This house enjoyed splendid architecture in 1999 after the completion of the restoration work. Currently, it hosts many restaurants that overlook the sea as well as a boutique that sells souvenirs and artisanal items. Its proximity to the hotels' street makes it a hotspot for clients seeking leisure and tranquility at the seaside.